Keyword researches is a process of collecting keyword and key phrases related to your website. They can be used for the further search engine optimization process and as well for the anchor texts in linkbuilding.
The Keyword researches are worth important in SEO if you plan to get high rankings in Google search results.
Normally, the keywords and key phrases may be divided in a few groups:
- Your brand name (your brand)*
- Primary keywords (main and the most competitive keywords in your niche)
- Secondary keywords (less competitive keywords then primary, but also popular in your niche)
- “Longtail” keywords (specific key phrases related to your specified services or goods or services/goods with specified feature / specified location)**
- LSI keywords (Latent semantic identification keywords – keywords or key phrases related to your niche but without using the exact keywords)**
- * using brand name, consider to use citation on 3rd party sites instead of using link;
- ** it may be in the form of questions, related to your niche
You can request us for the standard (up to 100 keywords) keywords researches absolutely FREE (only once) filling the form below:
Request Keyword Researches
Keywords researches are one of the most important elements in website positioning. If you want to choose them well, you must limit yourself to words that:
- are searched by users (verify this with Google Keyword Planner)
- are strongly related to your offer and current content on your subpages,
- they are not very general (this often depends on the industry).
Generate traffic to your site
The answer to the question: “Why not focus on phrases that are not searched?” Is quite obvious – after all, you want to generate traffic to your site. When choosing phrases, however, you must bear in mind that Google’s tool is not completely accurate and you may find that phrases that according to Keyword Planner are not searched, will still generate minimal traffic. However, these will be individual situations.
Avoid general keywords / phrases
Why choose words carefully and avoid overly general phrases? The answer is simple: do not waste your time and money on positioning something that has little chance of conversion. We can use an example here: imagine that you sell smartphones, but you want to position yourself for a similar word (suppose they are smartphones), because you come to the conclusion that this phrase will be more popular. You think that your site will accidentally hit a user who decides to buy a smartphones instead of the previously selected tablet. Of course, this can happen, but how many people do it? Certainly not much.
At a time when information is at your fingertips, potential customers know exactly what they want. Similarly, for too general phrases. They are not only very difficult, because they have huge competition, but also their sales potential is negligible. Because who nowadays, wants to buy new oil filter for a specific purpose, simply enter the phrase “oil filters” in the search engine? For comparison – the phrase “genuine oil filter for bmw x3” has significantly fewer searches, but if someone in this way through the search engine enters your website and finds a product that meets their needs, you have a great chance of conversion.
What keywords we can choose?
We’ve already explained how to choose the right keywords for your business. However, to do it most effectively, you should also learn about the most common types of key phrases.
Brand key phrases
It is primarily the name of your company (brand) or part of its web address entered in the search engine. When your brand is unique, you will take first positions in search results without any additional work. However, if for some reason this is not the case, you should also consider their positioning.
General key phrases
So-called generic phrases, which consist of 1-2 words. Very general, so not very accurately describing the topic of the industry and difficult to position (for example, dresses, handbags, cars, houses, etc.).
They usually contain 3 or more words. They are especially used by people looking for specific solutions to existing problems and entering specific queries, e.g. “how to make treat metal blinds”. Guidance phrases are most often used when creating articles on internal company blogs.
Sales key phrases long tail
Very detailed phrases contain a precise expression of the user’s needs. Often chosen by people interested in buying a given item, e.g. what smartphone up to 150EUR.
How do you choose the best keywords?
When choosing keywords, there is one more thing: what to decide – position using the long tail method, focus on product phrases (specific product model names), or try positioning the most difficult phrases? The decision should be based on several basic factors:
- What is the status of your website in terms of incoming links? Does it lead to a lot of natural, or on the contrary, a lot of spam links?
- How big is the competition (quantitatively and qualitatively, also in terms of the link profile)?
- Is your offer wide – do you have many products / services or do you only sell one product / service?
- Is there any potential for creating content in the industry in which you operate and users may be interested in it?
- Do you have a lot of long tail search phrases in the industry you work in?
After answering the above questions, you can proceed to the selection of keywords. If your website has a lot of natural links and the competition is not ahead of you in this field, you can try to position difficult phrases and at the same time try to position your phrases from a long tail. The strategy of a long tail will not make sense if you run a business based on one product or service, and interest in expert content is negligible.
And how do you tell if a long tail makes sense? The pattern is very simple:
potential move = 1 x phrase 10,000 searches per month = 1000 x phrase 10 searches per month
Explaining – 1000 very simple phrases will generate the same amount of traffic as one very difficult phrase (in case your site is in high positions with them). It would seem that it will be more difficult to position as many as 1000 phrases instead of one. Not necessarily. Depending on the situation of the website and competition activities, the budget may not allow you to position the most difficult phrase, and the number of easy phrases in high positions can be increased every day.
You already know how to choose the right keywords for your business. So it’s time for you to learn more about other steps taken in the process of organic SEO.